Wednesday 19 January 2011

Meeting Cornwall College Students in Westminster

 In Westminster today I met with constituents concerned by proposals to reform the current system of Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

I am supportive of the Government’s intention to target extra financial support at the students who require it the most. However I am keen to ensure that the Government takes all possible factors into account during this process of reform. I was therefore grateful to my constituents for passing their concerns onto me, bringing my attention to specific issues such as the high cost of travel for students in Cornwall.  

I was pleased to see the Head of Cornwall College, Mr David Linell, giving evidence to the Education Select Committee, regarding similar issues.

I have taken up these concerns, especially regarding the costs of transport for young people getting to and from College.  The replacement to EMA is currently under review, and I am hopeful that the concerns expressed by myself and Mr Linell, will be taken into close account during this process.

I am looking forward to discussing this further when I meet with the Cornwall Youth Parliament in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.