Monday 13 June 2011

Ensuring a prosperous future for Britain’s High Streets

We have long been known as a nation of shop keepers. In the last century my family where shop keepers on the High Street in Falmouth. For centuries, making things and selling them here and around the world was the basis upon which Cornwall’s prosperity was built. I want to make sure that during this Parliament, we re-balance our economy to manufacture more things here, from food to clothes and household items.  I appreciate how much people enjoy shopping in Truro and Falmouth as well as valuing the convenience of local shops  in St Agnes, Perranporth and smaller villages around this constituency.

Retailing is important for jobs and the local economy as well supporting our very important tourism industry. Since being elected I have been very concerned by the threats to independent retailers on our high streets. I am dismayed that the last government pushed through massive business rate increases during the depth of the recession. While the Coalition has brought in some welcome  business rate reliefs– it is not enough to support many of the businesses in Falmouth and Truro, where the commercial value of properties have rocketed. Based on information I have gathered from retailers and the Evaluation Office, I have been lobbying Ministers for increases in business rate reliefs.

I was delighted that the challenges of increased costs of doing business as well as other issues and opportunities facing retailers on our high streets are urgently being reviewed by Mary Portas. As readers may recognise from her TV show, she is a leading retail marketing consultant and has been asked by the Government to lead an independent review and deliver an action plan by the autumn. I have invited her to this constituency. I will be working with the BIDs teams in Truro and Falmouth to submit a report to the review with a list of what will help our retailers here.

I am also interested in the views of retailers around my constituency, residents and all those who would like to participate in the review. There is a link to a survey on my website, www.trurofalmouthconservatives.co.uk. If you  would prefer to write to me, I will be happy to include your concerns and ideas in my report to the review.

As our parish and town councils as well as Cornwall Council have an important role to play in developing vibrant and sustainable town centres and villages, I am keen to include thier views as well.

Finally, on Saturday, I joined the record breaking number of people who visited the Royal Cornwall Show – such a great show case for Cornwall. I was pleased to meet local food producers such as cheese and cider makers and learn how well their businesses are growing. Always a pleasure to help celebrate the successes of Cornwall’s business people. Congratulations to the organisers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.