Thursday 12 July 2012

The Navy and Olympic Security

Speaking in The House of Commons today, I drew attention to the vital role of the Navy in Olympic security. See the extract from Hansard below:

I had the privilege of sailing along the Thames on HMS Ocean when she took up her position to provide security for events at venues all over London. Does my right hon. Friend share my belief that the presence of the Navy in London will be reassuring to all Londoners and volunteers, who are coming from Cornwall and all over the UK to help to make this the best ever Olympics?

My hon. Friend is right to remind us that, although we tend to use the term “troops”, the security contribution is being made by our armed forces as a whole. My right hon. Friend the Defence Secretary has laid a written ministerial statement today that refers not only to HMS Ocean and other Royal Navy assets, but to the important role that the Royal Air Force will play in ensuring our security.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.