Tuesday 27 March 2012

‘Pasty Tax’

I am very concerned about the ‘Pasty Tax’ and the impact this could have on Cornwall. I am urgently raising this with the Treasury to try and secure a resolution. Please see the link and extract from Hansard below for my actions on this yesterday:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201212/cmhansrd/cm120326/debtext/120326-0002.htm#1203264000908

‘Sarah Newton (Truro and Falmouth) (Con): I am grateful for my hon. Friend’s cue. Creative industries are vital to Cornwall, but so is creating high-quality food products. There is growing concern throughout Cornwall about the possible unintended consequences of the Budget and about the undoubtedly real threat to the Cornish pasty of the pasty tax. May I seek my hon. Friend’s reassurance that the concerns of pasty makers in my constituency are being listened to and that a solution can be found?

Edward Vaizey (Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries), Business, Innovation and Skills): I thank my hon. Friend for that intervention, which I know the Chief Secretary to the Treasury will respond to fully when he winds up. I congratulate her county on receiving the award for being Britain’s best tourist destination for the third year, and I congratulate her on the extraordinary energy with which she represents her constituency. She and I have had many meetings to discuss various issues in her constituency. [ Interruption. ] You are looking at the clock, Mr Deputy Speaker, so I shall wrap up; however, let me tell my hon. Friend that I hear what she says about the Cornish pasty issue, and I am assured that the Treasury is looking at it seriously.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.